Friday, May 10, 2013

All I ever wanted...

As I sit here and think about Mother's Day coming up on Sunday, I think about my own mom.  Let me tell you all about her.
When my mom and dad were married in 1964 my mom was told she could not have kids because she had always been sick and it would be dangerous for her.  In 1964, she gave birth to my brother against the advice of her doctors.
When my brother was 2 they resubmitted adoption papers in the hope of getting another child.  5 years later, on their 11th wedding anniversary, my parents and brother picked me up from the foster home that my biological mother had placed me in for the first 5 weeks of my life.
My mom did not carry me for 9 months or experience the pain of birth with me, but she is my mom.  I don't look like her but I am very much like her in so many ways.  She has been there every day of my life, cleaned my scraped knees, volunteered in my classroom, wiped my tears and told me she loved me in every way possible!  I never questioned that she was my mom, never ever ever.  I remember her telling me that parents are people who love you and take care of you even if they didn't give birth to you.  

Sooooo...all I ever wanted in my life was to be a mom.  This has been a feeling inside of me for as long as I can remember.  I wanted someone in my life who looked like me and had some of my personality.  I wanted to feel that love that I feel when I look at my mom.

In December 2005 I gave birth to the most beautiful boy, William George Joseph Reid.  I instantly fell in love with him and began the journey that continues today, the journey of having a child with Down syndrome.  God chose me to be Liam's mom and I am so very proud to walk beside him on his life's journey.

In March 2008, I gave birth to the most beautiful little girl, Evalyn aalish Reid.  She has filled my life with rainbows and dolls and she talks non stop, just like me.  I am certainly getting a taste of what my parents dealt with when I was little!  I love  her so much sometimes it hurts.  

I am so unbelievably blessed to have these two very different, very amazing children.  My life is full, full of love, laughter and learning!
Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are blessed like me.  No matter how you become a mom, wear it like a badge of honor because it is!!
Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment