Sunday, October 3, 2010

One of those days

I should be sleeping right now but I am afraid to close my eyes. Like if I shut them something else bad will happen to Liam and I think he has been through enough for one day. Daddy took him to the park and that is where the drama begins. I answer the phone to Rob yelling to come and get him because Liam has fallen and he thinks his arm may be broken, all I can hear in the background is Liam screaming. I race upstairs and yank Eva from her nap, throw her coat and shoes on and get her in the car. We pick Liam and Rob up on the street, he is carrying a crying Liam in his arms. We head to Milton hospital. They take him right in, xray him and tell us that he will need to be taken to a children's hospital where they will likely do surgery. Liam fell off the playground equipment from a height of about 5.5 to 6 feet onto his arm and back. He has fractured his elbow and will need surgery to fix it. Sick kids in Toronto call and say that they can take him so we get Liam in the car and Eva too and head down there where my sister in law will meet us and take Eva home with her. Thank goodness for family. I would just like to point out that Liam has not cried since they stabalized his arm with a splint at Milton hospital, he is very mellow and quiet and obviously exhausted. At one point at Milton hospital he turns to me and says "been a long day mommy" right you are Liam! We meet the doctors at Sick Kids and they confirm that he will need surgery and that they can do it right away. I am petrified but am keeping strong. Liam keeps telling us that he "feel better mommy, go home now" and I so wish I could take him home. We head up to the OR with him and then comes the worst time ever when with tears in my eyes I say goodbye to him right before they wheel him away. Rob and I hold each other and cry a little then head to the waiting room to wait. 2 hours later he is in the recovery room and he is doing well. Right now I am watching him sleep peacefully and I am hoping that the morphine will keep the pain away for awhile so he can get the healing rest his body needs. I always hope this is our last visit to the hospital but right now I am thankful that we have the wonderful hospitals that we do because they truly helped my family today, and that is greatly appreciated. Sleep well little bear, tomorrow is a new day...

No comments:

Post a Comment